Thursday, March 8, 2012

Disappointment In Manchester

It has been a very disappointing night in Manchester as United and City both are heading off into the second league of the Europa League being one goal down. With all the English Premier League clubs out of the Champions League, can the Europa League be next to see the departure of Premier League teams?
Manchester City was beat 1-0 to a fantastic back heel goal, despite several good chances (including one super close chance by Mario Balotelli late on).
United on the other hand was beaten 3-2 in a match surrounded with controversy. I myself found Bilbao's third goal to be completely unfair (however the referee made up for it by calling a penalty minutes later that could be debated by Bilbao fans as outside the box). Basically, United was in possession, but Evra's shoe fell off, causing the referee to stop the game. Now, instead of giving the ball back to United which would be the fair thing to do, he gives Bilbao a free kick, which leads to them scoring a goal (United did defend sloppily however). Now, I am going to look into it, but I am not sure if it is a rule that if your shoe falls off that the other team gets the ball, if that's the case, then I will be fine, if not, I will be very upset. Either way, I feel the game should have ended 2-2, Bilbao played well and deserved a draw, but I do not feel they deserved the win.
United will have a lot of work to do in Spain, and hopefully they can make it into the next round, and if City fail to do so, they should have an easy run to the trophy (with exception to a few teams such as Valencia).
What do you guys think about these two games? Who do you think will win the Europa League? Was the referee in the wrong against United? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment